Seek:

Friday, June 3, 2011

Nowhere Land

Being a part of the SB community has been my saving grace time and time again.  There have been people to educate and comfort me, to tell me what to expect, to remind me to count my blessings, to listen when I rant and to listen to when they need to rant. The importance of this community in my life is vast. My desire to give back is also strong.

However my family doesn't always fit in with the community.  Adults with SB grow weary of parents asking the same questions over and over about their children. My son is someone with SB who is expected to walk. My son has only had 4 surgeries, and that may seem like a lot, but it can be a drop in the bucket for many in the SB community. We met a 12 year old who gets around in a wheelchair and has had 42 surgeries at clinic. How does one run to people with such patience and strength to whine about a shunt revision? The truth is, many of my peers in this community have much more to deal with on a daily basis. I do not have the energy or patience yet to tolerate rude strangers for the sake of being an ambassador for SB. Many people I've met in the SB community grit their teeth at the stares and intrusive questions and take time to educate people.

My family doesn't fit in with the non SB community either.  "He's all special and stuff," a family member said to me once, despite having no ill will behind it, it sticks with you.  Other women with babies around the same age post things about wishing their baby wasn't mobile, pushing them over with their foot because they aren't ready for them to move so much, or saying they aren't ready for the milestones.  I feel a twinge every time I read something like that, but I'm unsure how I'm supposed to react. I rejoice every single toe wiggle, wobbly attempt at sitting up and anything remotely crawl like. When you look at Kemper's pictures, everything seems fine, his development for the most part, is on track.  But it makes my chest hurt when people I love say, "You'd never know anything was wrong with him."

Lets get something straight, there is nothing wrong with Kemper.  He is not "special."  He is living with SB and has needs that coincide with that.  Will I be angry if you use the word cripple in front of me?  Yes.  Thankfully when this did happen I was able to take a breather and come back to discuss it calmly, finding out that the person who used it has family with disabilities who used the word cripple to describe themselves.  She meant no offense.  Will I dislike it if you use the word retarded the way I used to, without cause or care of how it may affect someone who overhears?  Yes. While Kemper's SB is a physical disability, my way of thinking has changed.  The world is bigger than my family, than the SB community.  Everyone deserves privacy and respect.

Still, this leaves us in a perceived no man's land, stuck somewhere between communities.  I'd like to say there are no lines, but there are.  Maybe one day I'll find my niche in blurring those lines.  But for now, I'm struggling not to rage on people who stare at Kemper's head incision.  Thankfully, no one has asked about it while we're out in public.

Truth be told, I don't look very approachable, but I never thought it would serve me so well.  Later on down the line, when I've figured out how to handle these things, perhaps I'll greet stares with a smile.  But I kind of doubt it. So, I'll just take a deep breath, enjoy my baby, and do what comes naturally, not worry about fitting in.

10 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about the "R-word" I used it all the time, never caring who might be in earshot. Now, knowing how words can hurt-it changes you.
    This is so beautiful, Beth. I enjoyed reading it. You sound exactly like me 2 years ago.

    Things will change, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE your honesty here! You will find your niche... and you will be a wonderful ambassador for the SB community! Your honest, raw, here it is mentality is exactly what it needs to be... people want to know the 'real' in your life! Not the sugar coated, it's all wonderful crap that is for television! Keep on, sista! You will do more good with your truth than you will with a facade. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your outlook, Bethany. You're right. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kemper. He was fearfully and wonderfully made just the way God wanted him to be. I think we could all do ourselves well were we to look at the world through your newly opened eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you feel. Sometimes if your kid is doing well, you feel like you're not allowed to complain or even ask questions because everyone else is dealing with something more major. But I think there are a lot of parents who feel they are in no-man's land, which means it's not really no-man's land at all. I think the majority of us parents feel like we lucked out with the SB stuff and with the kid we got. So don't ever feel ashamed or self-conscious about asking questions or venting or talking about it. The world needs to hear about the kids who have a lot of needs as well as the ones who don't have many needs. Can you remember when you were pregnant and looking for info and it seemed all you saw were worst case scenarios? Well, if you have a best case scenario, talk about it! That doesn't mean you are bragging or trying to make someone else feel bad. That is your reality. And I think it's the reality of a lot of people. You're not alone!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth,
    I'm so glad to see you back! Sometimes it's hard to find where you fit. There are a whole range of difficulties in our community. You'll find someone who clicks with you (in person or online).

    And that patience and strength? My Nick is 19 months and I've had new moms come to me, I have no idea where patience and strength come from - usually I'm winging it! Each surgery, each visit, each concern - they matter and they matter to you!
    I think you have a great attitude!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also live smack in the middle of no-mans-land. Many people we meet have no idea Davis has SB. But...we do! We don't fit in with the spina bifida community, but we don't fit in the non-spina bifida community either. Colleen is right! You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your encouraging words. It is truly a pleasure getting to know other parents. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bethany, I love you this is an amazingly honest post and if I have ever been one of the people to have said something hurtful, I apologize. I'm not a parent and I only know the things about SB I learned from you... I feel like a bad friend for not taking a more active part in your life with all that you are dealing with... Just know I'm here if you need me. I wish I was more tolerant and a better friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Bethany you have a lot to deal with. Sometimes when people say that Kemper is special they may be saying that with a mind in special education and special needs children. That is what he will need as he gets older and I am sure there was not any mean intention behind it. When someone says you would never know anything is wrong with him they mean he looks healthy and happy and they don't see any scars or effects of his condition. You can't take on the whole world and take offense to everything that people say to you. Especially your family and friends. They are your soft place to fall when you can't stand. If you make mountians out of everything then nothing in your life will be less than climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Anonymous, I appreciate your opinion, however I don't think you quite understand what you are talking about. You certainly don't know the context of the comments I referred to in this post. My family and friends are very important to me and very supportive.

    ReplyDelete